Compulsory MicroChipping For Dogs
What are the changes?The new legislation is effective from April 6th 2016.
The main changes include the requirement that dogs will need to be MicroChipped by 8 weeks of age, or earlier if they are being transferred to a new keeper before that time.
If being MicroChipped for a breeder, the MicroChip needs to be registered to them first, before transferring the registration to the new keeper.
Here is a quick list of the most notable changes:
- Dogs to be microchipped and registered before 8 weeks old, or before first transfer if earlier
- Breeders must be registered as the first keeper on the database
- The keeper of the dog needs to be registered on the database, with up to date contact details
- Imported dogs need to be registered with a compliant MicroChip Database within 30 days of entering the country
- All dogs must have ISO standard MicroChips
- Anyone implanting MicroChips who is not a vet or wasn't trained prior to 24th Feb 2015 must be trained on a DEFRA approved training course
The AVID advantage!AVID have a bespoke system which allows breeders to register and re-register the first transfer free of charge.
A lot of veterinary practices we've spoken to felt that this could be a useful point of difference when they were competing with other neighbouring practices for business. Some practices also mentioned that they see this as becoming an increasing revenue stream for them.
As for dog breeders who are trained to implant their own MicroChips, this will be a clear benefit and something that they are keen to take advantage of.
If you would like to discuss the changes in the legislation at all, receive a FREE poster for your organisation or look at switching your supply to us then please call freephone 0800 652 7 977 or click here to request your free poster via our contact form.
Get Your Free Poster Here
Contact our MicroChipping experts at AVID on freephone 0800 652 7 977 Mon-Fri 9am-5:30pm if you have any specific questions or would like more information about how our system can benefit you.
- AVID Plc, PO Box 190, Lewes, BN7 9GD
- 01273 408720
- or freephone 0800 652 7 977